What Is A Good Parent?
What makes a good parent and who gets to decide? You can’t solve a question paper on how to make a good parent. And you certainly can’t tick the boxes that would make excellent parents. There is no certain criteria to it. This is a sensitive and delicate association.
The Way To Good Parenting
A parent and child’s relationship is reflected through the child’s behaviour and actions. If you don’t have a good relationship with your child, they probably won’t listen to you. How can you have a good relationship with your children?
- Develop trust. Think if it as an adult. If you have a good relationship with them and are able to trust them, you’ll listen to their opinions and views as compared to someone who you don’t like. Remember, Building trust takes time, patience and perseverance. It all has to be done slowly and steadily. If you are successful to develop trust between you and your kid, it enables to develop empathy, honesty, self-reliance, self-control, kindness, cooperation and cheerfulness. Not only this, your kid has lesser chances to develop mental illnesses such as anxiety, depression, eating disorders, and anti-social behaviours and saves your kid from drug abuse.
- Don’t be hesitant and communicate with your children, after all you gave birth to them. Often, communication gap leads to a series of dishonest and distrustful acts such as stealing thing and losing respect. Try to keep them in the loop about everything.
- Make sure they know that you are there for them. Be friendly and honest, but don’t be strict as it instils fear and feelings of rejection.
- Set reasonable boundaries. Realize that trust is a two way road and one person can’t solely build it. Educating them about the benefits of trust is your job. If they build a trustworthy relationship with you, they will be bestowed with greater privileges.
- Above all, trust yourself as parents. You do know what is best for your children. Have faith in yourself and your decisions.
Every relationship requires efforts, faith and patience. A loving relation between both the parties helps create a strong, fulfilling, satisfying and stable relationship. Even if the trust breaks, don’t be disheartened. Try building it again. Put effort into trusting each other, again. Make the initial move and let them know that you are willing to work on it. Parenting is not an easy job. All it requires is love and determination.